Important Dates for Election 2019 and Summary of Offices up for Election
Voter Registration for the Primary
Last day to register to vote before the primary : April 22, 2019
Last day to apply for absentee ballot: May 14, 2019
Primary: May 21, 2019 Click here to link to the sample ballot
Voter Registration for the Municipal Election
Last day to register to vote: October 7, 2019
Last day to apply for absentee ballot: October 29, 2019
Election day: November 5, 2019
Out of town on election day? Get your absentee ballot.
Not sure if you’re registered? Check here.
Summary of Local Elected Offices on the 2019 Ballot:
Summary of Superior Court:
The Superior Court was established in 1895. It is one of Pennsylvania’s two statewide intermediate appellate courts. The Superior Court is often the final arbiter of legal disputes. The Supreme Court may grant a petition to review a decision of the Superior Court, but most petitions are denied and the ruling of the Superior Court stands. Cases are usually heard by panels of three judges sitting in Philadelphia, Harrisburg or Pittsburgh, but may also be heard en banc by nine judges. The Superior Court often travels to locations throughout Pennsylvania to hear cases.
- Appeals in criminal and most civil cases from the Courts of Common Pleas
- Appeals on matters involving children and families
Summary of Auditor:
- Examine all Financial Records and Bank Statements for accuracy.
- All County Offices are examined Monthly.
- Several Departments are examined Yearly, as well as all of the Jefferson County Tax Collector’s records.
- Qualifications : Financial Background
- Continuing Education for CPE credits
Summary of Register and Recorder:
In some counties, the Register of Wills, Clerk of Orphan’s Court and Recorder of Deeds are separate offices. In Jefferson County, they are combined into one office.
Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphan’s Court:
- File Estates, swear in executors and administrators
- File Inheritance Tax Returns, collect the taxes on behalf of the state Dept of Revenue
- File Accountings of Estates, Trusts, and for Incapacitated persons
- File Adoptions
- Issue Marriage Licenses
Recorder of Deeds:
- Record Deeds, Mortgages, Leases, Rights of Way, and misc. Land Agreements
- Record UCC’s [a ‘mortgage’ on personal property]
- File Notary Bonds and Commissions
- File Highway, Subdivision, Maps, and Plans
- Essentially anything ‘land oriented’
Essentially, it takes clerical and some management skills. I would recommend that some or all of the clerks who work in the office remain, since they have the experience to assist with the transition.
The office also coordinates filings with the Court Administrator and Judge, i.e. sending motions, etc. up to judge, and send out Orders and misc. correspondence to parties.
Summary of School Board
The Pennsylvania School Board Association has a short document available on the role of school boards and the people who sit on those boards. View the document.